Friday, August 31, 2012

Coaster of the Month - August

I wasn't sure what to do this month, then earlier this week I saw a tutorial at Canoe Ridge Creations for their contribution to the Festival of Hexagons series of hex tutorials which just finished up.

I've been meaning to get around to paper piecing some of them, but this was the first actual hexagon I've cut and used.

This was nice fast project, it took me less than an hour and that included a few minutes with a seam ripper (don't ask...)



I stitched around the edge with white thread, then some Aurifil around the hexagon, then my common sense deserted me and I started making sewing triangl-y bits around the border...I don't know what was up with that, I thought I'd use more of the variegated thread for some amazing effect... if I were to do it again, I'd just sew around the center hexagon with a few rows of thread. 

The back?  I just grabbed a couple of pink scraps.  I don't think I plan on turning this over too often, but I do plan on making some more of this shape, it was a fun project.

One thing you might be wondering if  you don't have a hexagon template is "How the heck do I make a 1.75" hexagon?  The website Incompetech has a great free tool to be able to make your own hexagon or triangle templates for paper piecing, graph paper, and a few other fun things.  You just plug in the size you need and voila!

2 comments: