Monday, August 6, 2012

The Totally Groovy Quilt Along


I was a bit behind on the" getting ready to get started on this" bit of the Totally Groovy QAL over at Pile O' Fabric

Friday afternoon I ordered my pattern and 22 hours later I got the mail and it was here!  Carolina Patchworks happens to be not too far up the road, which I DID know when I pinned the picture months ago but had since forgotten.  That's Gasworks park in the background, a place where I've gone since I could walk for picnics, field trips,  concerts, and had the most successful kite flying of my life!


 
I think I have my colors mostly narrowed down, but not quite.  I don't want to go with all Kona because I find a lot of the colors dull and flat when used in  large chunks.  Moda Bella swatches are so teeny it's not that helpful to try to chose from their color card, though I'm trying.  I love Pat Bravo's Pure Elements, but the colors seem to run on the more vibrant side, and I'm trying to go a bit more subtle with this (that and they tend to be a bit more expensive and this quilt takes quite a bit of fabric!)

I got kind of enamored of this bundle at the Fat Quarter Shop, and was torn between it and a pale washed beachy theme, but since it gets so gloomy here a lot of the year I thought I should play it safe and go with a bit more of a cheerful color scheme. 





I think I'm going to only make a throw or twin sized quilt from this pattern, since I don't think my husband would like our bed to be covered with something so retro.  ( I mean I asked but he seemed non-committal and I get the oddest looks from him when I ask him questions about quilts ;)

 It DOES look like, however, that if I wanted to add on to it after finishing the top, it is easy enough to change my mind and make a larger size.  Anyhoo, I think I'm going to opt for something along the colors to the left there. Oh choices choices!





3 comments:

  1. I really like this! I may have to join in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors you chose for the Groove quilt! They will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete