Angela at Cut to Pieces is in the process of doing a Mario Brothers quilt a long. Now I played Pong on our Atari console as a kid, Kangaroo anyplace I could find it, and even Sonic the Hedgehog for like THREE hours as a teenager to impress my boyfriend, but I certainly skipped right over the whole Mario thing.
I did manage to grow up to be somewhat of a video & board game lover (my husband works in the game industry so it's the least I can do?) but since I never played it, I don't usually really understand what all the excitement is about.
|Pillow Back with extra 1.5" strips|
Scot is commuting 1100 miles today to go to a Seattle gaming convention (or visit me, I think its a toss up), and with my husband prefacing his visit by saying very unhelpful things like "Why don't you make Scot some Mario coasters ?" I decided I better make something before I was driven to violence. Since Angela is awesomely posting PDF's of the blocks as they go in the flickr group for the QAL...
I decided to take the PDF of the Mario block, and break it down into longer strips instead of 1.5" squares By just adding 1/4" seam allowance to the end of each color block, I was able to cut down the wear and tear on my body. Luckily I finally got a 1/4" piecing foot which made this SO much easier (and straighter) when I put it together. I ended up with close to a 19" square, which could've been made a wee bit smaller to fit my 18" insert. It's possible other people have done this for the QAL, I haven't had time to look through the whole group lately.
I thought I should use some embroidery too. Scot likes to be told he's awesome (a Canadian thing?) so I put it in writing for him, I need to keep practicing that skill (embroidery, not flattering my friends).
He'd wanted to make himself a Piranha plant footstool after seeing a tutorial for it, so I figured he'd appreciate one on his pillow too, and I found an interesting take of it online .
Joann's Fabrics had all all the colors I needed in Kona cotton for this in stock (a miracle)!
I used fusible interfacing on the back of the embroidery to protect it, and since I had practiced zippers for my pouches earlier this year, I opted for a zipper closure. It took a long full day to do the cutting and sewing, and a shorter day to do the embroidery. I am not totally displeased with how it turned out (that counts as my version of a compliment to myself :). I've put it in the "guest bedroom" (futon sofa residing in my husband's game room) on the bed for a surprise when he gets here in a few hours , and I now I feel I don't have to do anything else nice to prove I'm a good friend until his wedding next summer!