Thursday, January 31, 2013

Schoenrock Cross Block




Yay I squeaked out another project before the end of the month.

Leila at Where the Orchids Grow is doing a QAL for the Schoenrock Cross block.  I got excited when I saw a few examples of the block and all the different takes on it.  It's foundation paper piecing and now that I've done a few paper pieced blocks this year, felt comfortable tackling it.

Leila gives some examples of different variants, with 4, 5 or 6 fabric choices and various color placements. Some very pretty blocks are in the flickr group too.



pre quilted

I'm not ready or crazy enough to tackle an entire paper pieced quilt at this time, but wanted to make another pillow so I can end up with that sofa full of fluffiness I promised to accomplish this year.

Full disclosure -  the magenta shot cotton was supposed to be where the grey is, but I immediately started sewing it together incorrectly so I went with it

(I DID tear things out and start over several time when I was doing the paper piecing for the January Lucky Stars BOM, no way I was doing that again!)





quilted block
Think there were better choices for FMQ'ing it, what is up with the sloppy lines I did?!?!  I've decided to rip the stitches out in some spots, so I'll see how that ends up.  With the border this finishes at about 13", so I need to go get a small pillow form to finish this up soon.

Fabrics
Petals and Leaves in Grey - Washi by Rashida Coleman Hale
Shot Cotton in magenta -  Kaffe Fasset
Historic Tile in Plum - Notting Hill by Joel Dewberry
Ladder Dot in Black - Chicopee by Denyse Schmidt
Dotted Leaf in Lime - Chicopee by Denyse Schmidt
Voltage Dot in Lime - Chicopee by Denyse Schmidt



No comments:

Post a Comment