Thursday, November 21, 2013

Fabricworm review 2.0

I'm working on a neutral based quilt, and needed a few more fabrics. Fabricworm had a great eight hour flash sale, and so I picked up a few more prints, and took the chance to order one of their Japanese/or Organic, scrap packs.

This is the second time I've ordered from them - the other was a year and a half ago, and I talked about it here, including the problems I had with the Aneela Hoey bundle not having all the right fabrics, and how I couldn't get some creases out of a couple prints no matter how long and hard I pressed.  As I've settled on making the majority of my orders from The Intrepid Thread, Hawthorne Threads, and Sewmeasong for my various needs, I have avoided temptation, but it was a good sale dammit!

scrap pack
This ended up being good bad & neutral.  I ordered on the 11th and it arrived on the 18th, slower than expected from CA to WA, even with the high volume of orders from a sale.  They sent the wrong color of one print, I wrote and they checked their inventory, saw that it matched with this being the case, and are sending out the correct fabric, saying I should get it in a few days, and can keep the incorrect one.  That is nice, but a bit frustrating as I am trying to not work on my quilt anymore until I get all the fabrics in.

The scrap pack was mostly Jay-Cyn for Birch Organics (eiko, camp sur and elk grove), with a couple of Rashida Coleman-Hale Koi prints that I already have some of.  The only odd monkey is that Elk Grove elk family print in Sun - it's a knit - I love working with knits for clothes, but I'm stymied as to what to do with a 9" by WOF knit bit of mustardy elks.

I can't say I will start ordering more often from here, but they do manage to carry prints that I don't run across elsewhere which does make me keep browsing them, like this Cosmo Textiles, Halloween Forrest in Black, that I couldn't resist adding to my order.   Cupid kittens with umbrellas...sold!

EDIT - I just sat down and measured the scrap pack for yardage, and I will say that their 2 yards per weight, even with one of the fabrics being canvas, measured in at 2.8 yards. Not a bad deal at all.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm glad I didn't cave and get that pack. It seems weak.

    Fabricworm frustrates me, too. They do have some odd stuff I like (and can't find anywhere else) but never enough things at the same time so it's worth making an order.

    Right now eQuilter is making me crazy. They know my hook, which is free shipping, and keep having codes. MUST. . .RESIST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I've ordered from them a few times and haven't had any issues. But I do find their regular prices to be higher than I can find elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete