Sunday, May 12, 2013

Center Diamond Fabric Store "Review"

This one I didn't take, but this is Center Diamond Fabric Store in Cannon Beach, OR

As I've waxed on and on about previously, I spent five peaceful nights on the Oregon coast recently.

It was a mistake how it all happened - while googling for "Alki" & "hot tub" and meaning Alki Beach here in Seattle - this lovely mid century modern place named after it called Alki House in Arch Cape, OR came up.

It seemed like serendipity (aka they offered me a 25% rate reduction for it being last minute!) and off I went with a bag full of embroidery and some hand sewing.

Of course it was my duty to check out Center Diamond, which was located ten minutes north in Cannon Beach.




I really wanted to pick up some Oh Deer by MoMo


So as expected they had lots of batiks and traditional fabrics, which aren't my style but OH MY!  They had a large variety of modern fabrics, and it was amazing how fun-ness much they fit inside. I imagine the turnover for some of these things are not super fast in a vacation-y town. There were a great selection of Art Gallery fabrics (my faves!) Lotta Jansdotter's Echo (not the print I wanted most of course but most of the line), Cloud 9 Organics and ton of fun and awesome fabrics, .  There were a few Heather Ross Far Away 3 prints, I almost got some but decided to make my splurge fabric one of the Echino's they carried.

Happy Zombie has a review with more great pictures of this shop too from her stop there during Visit Your Local Quilt Shop Day!

Besides some fabric, I picked up some extra floss from their small selection. They had all the modern books and plenty of patterns to choose from.  There were sashiko patterns, thread and needles too but I managed to resist. The two employees there were sweet and didn't mind me snapping a couple of pictures as I was checking out.

Anyway summary is - great store.  It is pricier than buying online, but they have an amazing selection and nice employees.  I was much more impressed with it than I am with our Seattle Pacific Fabrics (I admit I haven't managed to check out the West Seattle Fabric company yet, even though my sister lives 5 minutes down the street from there, something I must rectify soon).  I did have to resist going back for a second round to grab a bunch of things I didn't drag to the cutting counter the first time, but as Alki House is really a romantic getaway sorta place (and I also recommend it if you're in the area), I might just be dragging somebody down there for a second trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment